Five months ago, I found some vintage fabric on Etsy and fell in love with it. So in love with it that I couldn't decide what to do with it. Vintage fabric is very cheap but I was still nervous about cutting into it because it's not always easy to replace if I messed something up.
But, after we got out the summer furniture again and set up the sun porch, I realized that we needed new pillows for that room.
This is how the sun porch looked last summer. I made the chair cushions and pillows but it was a bit blah. And the pillows were too small to be very comfy.
We've moved things around a lot this year in an effort to allow more seating and I don't have any photos of it yet. But as you can see in the quick photo of Libby below, we've been using the Line Art Quilt out there a lot.
Once I looked through the vintage fabrics, I realized that a lot of the yellow and orange fabrics coordinated beautifully with the line art quilt and the yellow pillows and chair pads. So.........I finally cut into a few of the fat quarters and made some vintage patchwork pillows.
And here they are. :)
I quilted it with straight line quilting 1/4" away from either side of the seams and I love the effect. And, actually, the fabric from the quilt coordinated so beautifully that I used a few scraps. I'll bet you can't even tell which square is not vintage fabric. :)
Although the back will be a hint. This is the Moda Dream On fabric that I used for the quilt. Both pillow backs are simple envelope closures with binding to match the pillow binding. The pillow insert comes out very easily and I can wash the covers whenever the need arises. And the yellow binding is the same fabric I used for the other yellow pillows last year. I love it when these things come together!
And I love how the front and the back work so well together.
The second pillow took a lot longer to make because I used 36 3" squares. And this one is all wrinkly because Tom started using this one the minute I finished it. He can report that it is very comfy for naps on the porch. :)
I used the same quilting technique.